Remember the sound of the ice cream truck coming down the street? This fun felt tutorial from Maker Team members Andrea and Paola of @dapperanimals is just as sweet - and you don't even need to scramble for loose change! Follow along as they demonstrate how to make a soft-serve pincushion. The hardest part will be deciding on a flavor!
We are Andrea and Paola, the creative sister duo from Dapper Animals, and we collect adorable pincushions. You can never have enough pincushions because they decorate your crafting room while keeping you safe from sharp needles and pins! Today we are going to show you how to make a felt pin cushion in the shape of an ice cream cone.
Skill Level: Advanced (Tutorial requires sewing with a curved needle)
Time: 3 hours
One 12x18" sheet of Peony Wool Blend Felt
One 9x12" sheet of Dandelion Wool Blend Felt
Sewing Thread - Pink, Yellow, and White
Hot Glue Gun
Ice Cream Cone Pincushion Pattern (click to download)
1. Download and print the Ice Cream Cone Pincushion Pattern above. Cut out the pieces.
2. Trace the pattern pieces onto the coordinating wool blend felt. Cut felt pieces.
3. Trace the ice cream cone pattern pieces onto cardboard and cut out. We used a recycled mailing box. Trace the inner circle on top of the outer circle as shown.
4. Cut slits along the outer circle until you reach the line of the inner circle.
5. Bend and curve both pieces of cardboard to match the image below.
6. Using your glue gun, glue the bottom of the cup to the short end of the cup.
7. Once you finish gluing the bottom along the entire edge of the cup, there will be an overlap flap on the side of the cup. Glue the flap to the side of the cup. The bottom of the cup should be flush with the side.
8. Trace the cone pattern pieces onto the Dandelion wool blend felt and cut out.
9. Fold and pin the yellow felt one inch from the top. Then sew it about 1/16″ from the edge or as close as you can get to the edge. You can use a sewing machine or sew it by hand. The result adds a nice ridge accent to the ice cream cone.
10. Add stitching accents to the ice cream cone by sewing diagonal lines and then add some more lines in the reverse to create a diamond pattern on the bottom half of the ice cream cone.
11. Using your glue gun, attach the yellow felt to the cardboard by aligning it to the bottom of the cone shape. You will have excess felt on the top of the cone. Fold the felt over the edge of the cone and glue it to the inside.
12. Attach the three pink pieces of felt as shown in the PDF pattern.
13. With the sewn ridges on the outside, fold the pink felt piece lengthwise and pin the edges together. Sew the edges together, but make sure to leave the last 3 inches unsewn at the tip.
14. Turn the pink felt piece inside out to leave the sewn ridges on the inside. Now that the stitching is on the inside, you can sew closed the tip of the soft serve.
15. Stuff the pink felt soft serve with Polyfil. Sew the open end closed.