Welcome to Christmas in July with Benzie Design + Therm O Web! We're sharing fabulous holiday-themed tutorials all week, along with an exclusive discount code and chance to win gift cards from Benzie and Therm O Web. Find the details at the end of this Reversible Mini Cushion tutorial designed by Maker Team member Abby of @katpaperlove.
Nothing beats the holidays, but Christmas in July comes a close second! It is the best time of the year to get a head start on all your holiday crafts. Summer heat can sometimes suck up your energy, but this easy craft is going to help you feel cozy in all the right ways. The best part is you can whip up a bunch of these as presents for your co-workers, friends, and neighbors for a touch of “made with love” in no time at all!
Skill Level: Beginner
Time: 1-2 hours
9x12” Christmas Wool Blend Felt Palette
Dotted Tree Die
Therm O Web SpraynBond Fabric Stiffener Spray
Therm O Web iCraft Fabric Fuse Liquid Adhesive
Therm O Web Sew-In Lightweight Nonwoven Interfacing
1. Pick two colors for the front and back of your mini cushion from the Christmas wool blend felt palette. I chose Ecru and Mustard. With a ruler and pencil, measure out 9x9" squares of both felt colors and two equal sized squares of the interfacing. Measure, cut and set aside.
2. Gather three sets of Holly felt-fetti that each contain (2) leaves of like color, (1) darker leaf and (1) berry.
3. Follow the directions on the Fabric Stiffener Spray and spray all your leaves. Pinch leaves in half lengthwise and use clips to hold them in place as they air dry.
4. Use the dotted tree die to cut out (4) Emerald, (3) Clover, (3) Pistachio, and (3) Kelly wool blend felt trees.
5. Arrange trees in a pattern. Alternate colors to create interest! Once you have laid out your design, flip it over so it is easy to follow your pattern when you get to the adhering step.
6. Sandwich the two felt squares between the interfacing squares.
7. Sew the squares around the perimeter leaving a small section unsewn.
8. Gently flip the cushion right side out. Use a wooden dowel to push out the corners.
9. Stuff the cushion using the rod to help fill in the edges and corners. Be sure to fill it with enough stuffing to create a stable yet plushy pillow.
10. Sew the cushion shut with a ladder stitch so stitching will not be visible.
11. Now it's time to glue the decorations on the cushion using the Fabric Fuse Liquid Adhesive. The glue takes a few hours to dry, so begin with the tree pattern since they lay flat. Take your time and follow the design in reverse from when it was flipped over.
12. Now flip the cushion over and lay out the holly design. Use the Fabric Fuse Liquid Adhesive plus the stick pins to hold the pieces in place. Leave your stick pins in place for at least half an hour while the glue dries.
Presto! A couple hours later and your super cute mini cushion is ready to be displayed. Now you have the skill set to create new designs and the time to make a whole army for the holidays!
And a special thanks to Therm O Web for supplying the adhesive materials for this project. Please enjoy an exclusive 10% discount on one purchase at thermoweb.com. Cannot be combined with other offers, nor valid on new or sale items. Good thru Dec.31, 2021. Enter 'BENZIEFELT1021' at checkout.
You can also enter your information below for a chance to win a $45 gift card. Look for more chances to win and more holiday projects all week on the Therm O Web blog.