Our favorite desert darling — the cactus! Craft your own prickly plants with our handy DIY below!
Cactus Pattern (click to download)
Small Terra Cotta Pots (4" rim shown)
1. Print out the Cactus Pattern above (or freehand your own design) on basic copy paper and cut out. Take a 6x9" sheet of felt, fold in half and pin paper pattern in place.
2. Use a sewing machine to sew right on the paper pinned felt. We love this method for tracing and sewing patterns! Be sure to leave the bottom open for stuffing. (1) Gently tear the paper away from the felt. (2) Grab sharp scissors and trim about 1/4" around the stitched line. (3) Finally, use fabric paint to stipple dots over the cactus. We used a sheet of paper to help us make even lines. (4) Let dry over night and repeat on opposite side.
3. Repeat the process for each cactus shape. Keep a steady hand and you'll have a whole prickly forest soon!
4. Gently fill your cactus with Polyfil.
5. Stuff the bottom of the pot with a little Polyfil. Mix and match the best prickly pairs (pun!) and hot glue the bases together for a bit more stability. Strategically glue poms in place around the cactus and base of the pot.
6. Use the pattern to cut out accent flowers. We used about five to seven flowers per pot, placing them on the tip of the cactus or as accents in the felt rocks.
Enjoy your new desert darlings!