We are willing Spring to arrive with our newest tutorial! Maker Team member Emily of @givemeastitch is sharing a delicate floral design that you can add to any stitchable surface. She is our resident embroiderer and is here to guide your hands and needles to lovely results, so let's get started.
Can't everyone use another small bag? Why not add some flare to yours? This is a fun and easy way to dive into embroidery and learn four common stitches. The pattern and color guide will help you along and you won't even need an embroidery hoop to stitch on this canvas pouch. It's time to show off your creativity and embroidery skills. Enjoy!
Skill Level: Beginner / Intermediate
Time: 3 - 4 hours
Canvas Zipper Pouch
Embroidery Floss - DMC 310 and Pixie Dust Palette
Moonstone Iridescent Sequins
Amethyst Iridescent Sequins
Amethyst Iridescent Beads
Needle for Beads and Sequins
Floral Pattern Guide (click to download)
Embroidery Stitch Guide (click to download)
1. Download the Floral Pattern and Embroidery Stitch Guides above and make sure you have all of the supplies laid out.
2. Trace or copy the pattern onto the canvas pouch. A Frixion tracing pen can be used to transfer the design and then erased with heat. There are many different ways you can do this step. Choose the method that works best for you.
3. Once you have the pattern on the canvas, start by "coloring in" the design. Use a satin stitch with DMC 945 to fill in the petals. DMC 963 is used for the center. Then move on to the leaves (DMC 369) and butterfly (DMC 157, 3078, 162 and 3836.)
4. Once all sections are filled in, use a backstitch (DMC 310) to outline the design. Add some French knots (DMC 25) for dimension.
5. Attach the sequins and beads to the pouch to your liking. This is where you can add your creativity!
6. Lastly, to create depth and more dimension, take one strand of DMC 746 and add short, straight stitches on the petals. DMC 25 can be used to add highlights to the butterfly.
7. If you used the Frixion tracing pen, use a hair dryer to remove any visible markings.
You’re finished! Your canvas pouch is ready to be filled and used. This pattern can be scaled smaller or larger and can be stitched on any fabric. Have fun and stitch away!