We've entered a new era of Valentine's and Maker Team member Camille of @notsomodernmillie is showing us around! She's dreamed up a fun tutorial for cross stitch emoji pins appropriate for all ages and skill levels. Let's give those texting thumbs a rest and get crafting!
A little less conversation, a little more emojis, please. The best part of sending out Valentine's as a child was always matching the right card to the right person. This collection of emoji Valentine pins was made to hit on all those levels of friendship. Whether you’re making them for kids at school or for grown-ups with a great sense of humor, these emojis are guaranteed to convey your deepest feelings - without ever saying a word.
Skill Level: Beginner
Time: 2 hours
White 14 count Aida cross stitch fabric – 5” square for each
Embroidery Thread – DMC 310, 415, 603, 666, 726, 798, 963 and White
One 9x12” sheet of White Wool Blend Felt
1 ½” Half Ball Cover Buttons
3” Embroidery hoop – optional
Emoji Cross Stitch Pattern
Printable Valentine Pattern
1. Click on the links above to print the PDF patterns. The first PDF includes the Emoji cross stitch pattern and basic cross stitch instruction. The second PDF is the template for the Valentine’s cards and should be printed on cardstock.
2. Begin by selecting and stitching your emoji design. You will only need one per button. You may find it helpful to put your cross stitch fabric in a hoop when stitching, as it keeps the fabric taut. When the design is completed, remove from the hoop, iron and set aside.
3. Cut a 1 ½” circle out of the white wool blend felt. Glue the felt circle on top of the button cover.
4. Cut a 3” circle around the finished emoji. Center the stitching over the button cover. Fold the raw edges over the sides and tuck into the teeth on the back. Make sure the front stays centered and taut.
5. Snap the backplate onto the button. Glue a pin back onto the center of the button’s back.
6. Once dry, attach emoji pin to the corresponding Valentine card. Time to pass out your Valentine's!
Even without words, these emoji pins are sure to bring a smile, and maybe heart eyes, to your Valentine. After all, nothing says "love" like something handmade. XO