Maker Team member Karla of @mochi_mx is a master of felt food and she's not going to let a food holiday go by without a craft to celebrate! You'll love this tutorial and you'll love the excuse to eat out even more. Order up!
November 16th is National Fast Food Day. Do you know what that means? An easy peasy dinnertime and the chance to support local restaurants! Eat out or drive through and try something new. Speaking of something new, how about making a French Fry Pouch to celebrate this day?
Skill Level: Beginner
Time: 1-2 hours
Canvas Zipper Pouch
One 9 x 12" sheet of Coral Glitter Felt
One 9 x 12" sheet of Butter Glitter Felt
Tapestry Wool in Coral and Butter
Embroidery Thread in Coral and Butter
3" Ball Chain with Connector
French Fry Pouch Template (click to download)
1. Download, print and cut out the French Fry Pouch Template above.
2. Prepare all the project pieces. You will need:
Pouch - (1) shape A from Coral, (1) shape B from Butter
Charms - (1) shape C from Coral, (1) shape D from Coral, (1) shape E from Butter, (1) shape F from Butter
Pom-pom - 36" of Coral and Butter tapestry wool
3. After you cut the Coral Heart, use the Heart template and cut out the black shape.
4. Place the Heart on top of the French Fries and stitch all around the letter I with Coral embroidery thread.
5. Place the Heart and French Fries on the pouch. Stitch the French Fries to the pouch with the Butter embroidery thread. Use the line guides of your template to know where to start and finish.
6. Now secure the Heart using Coral embroidery thread.
7. To make the pouch charms, stitch shape D to C and shape E to F.
8. Stitch the back seam of the mustard packet and then stitch across the top.
Remember to leave room on the ends to trim them with pinking shears.
9. Stitch along the bottom. Repeat steps 8-9 to make the ketchup packet.
10. Trim the top and bottom of the ketchup and mustard packets with pinking shears.
11. To make the pom-pom, wind the tapestry wool around a fork until you reach desired fullness. Tie around the middle with a tight knot, repeat to make another knot. Slide the bundle off the fork and cut through looped ends. Trim ends to even them.
12. Use the tie-off threads to attach the mustard and ketchup packets, the pompom and the chain. Tie two tight knots to secure everything.
13. Add your charms to the pouch!
You could also use this tutorial to make glitter patches for your jacket, backpack or tote bag and celebrate National Fast Food Day with us! Remember to send us pictures of your project to so we can see your awesome work.
Gracias to Karla for designing and writing this tutorial! You can follow her on Instagram @mochi_mx or visit her website. Stay tuned for more Benzie Design Maker Team tutorials from Karla and the rest of the team!