Halloween is fast approaching. Even if the costumes and treats are store bought, it's always nice to add something handmade to the holiday. Maker Team member Susana of @gazaposcraft designed a felt treat bag that is sure to be a hit with kids and will satisfy your desire to add a personal touch. Pull out the felt and candy and let's get started!
Halloween is so much fun! We can dress up however we want, be the character we like the most and even become a child once again. Our children celebrate by collecting candy in the neighborhood with friends. This festive pumpkin bag is a great way to create something for them while having a little fun yourself!
Skill Level: Beginner
Time: 3 hours
Treat Bag Template (click to download)
Sewing Machine - optional
1. Print the Treat Bag Template above. Use the bag guide to measure and mark the bag dimensions onto Black felt with a water soluble pencil. The solid line is for cutting and the dashed line is for folding.
2. Cut along the continuous lines. Fold along the dashed lines. Mark the folds with an iron.
3. Hot glue the folds to assemble the bag.
4. Cut a 2 x 18" strip from Black felt for the handle. Cut in half lengthwise and machine sew strips together with a zig zag stitch down the center. The two pieces can also be sewn together by hand.
5. Sew the handle ends to the top of narrow sides of the bag.
6. Use the Treat Bag Template to trace and cut the pumpkin elements from felt.
7. Glue the Umber felt to the top and bottom of the Chanteney felt to give the pumpkin shadows.
8. Use the sewing machine (or by hand) to sew along the ridges of the pumpkin with Umber (1056) thread.
9. Glue the eyes, nose and mouth to the pumpkin.
10. Glue the finished pumpkin to the front of the bag.
Happy Halloween and happy crafting!