Looking for a handmade touch to add to this year's family holiday photos? Maker Team member Hannah of @ohhoneychild has the perfect tutorial for you! This holiday floral hair clip can be adjusted to match any kid's outfit. It's also a breeze to make, and it's kid friendly, so you can get your little ones involved! Read on for the supply list and directions to make your own!
One thing I love to do each year is take Christmas photos of my girls to send to family and friends. It’s nice to see them grow each year! But a problem I often face is getting a hairpiece that matches just right with outfits. In this tutorial, I’m going to teach you how to make a holiday floral hair clip to add a little pizazz to your little one’s hair! A perk to making your own hair accessories is that you get a more harmonious look that matches any outfit. Benzie has such a wide variety of colors that you don’t have to spend hours on end looking for the right shade of color to match your little girls’ dress.
Skill Level: Kid friendly/beginner
Time: 30 minutes
One 9 x 12 sheet of burgundy wool blend felt
One 9 x 12 sheet of moss wool blend felt
One 9 x 12 sheet of olive wool blend felt
One 9 x 12 sheet of gold metallic felt
One small white felt pom (2cm diameter)
Sharp felt scissors
Hot glue gun and hot glue
4cm Alligator Hair clip
1. Cut a rectangle (1in x 4 in) of the gold metallic felt. Glue horizontally on the botoom half of the rectangle and fold the rectangle in half (hotdog style). Then cut multiple ¼ inch cuts from the folded side making sure not to cut all the way through. When finished, it should look like a comb.
2. Glue one side of your gold metallic felt around the white pom and cut off the remaining felt.
3. Cut five 1.5 in x 1.5 in squares of burgundy felt.
4. Cut the squares into circles
5. Cut the tops of the circles to have 3 scallops.
6. Cut a slit from the bottom of each petal (Scallops on the top). This slit is about half the size of the petal.
7. Place a dot of glue on one side of the slit and fold the other side of the slit on top of it. This will make your petal curve and have a slight cone shape.
8. Glue each petal onto the white pom. When gluing the first petal, place glue on the bottom right side of the petal. Evenly distribute the petals. On the last petal, tuck the petal in the left side of the first petal. This way none of the petals are sticking out.
9. Cut a 2.5 inch x 1.5 inch rectangle of moss felt. Cut a leaf shape going from the left bottom corner and curving up to the right top corner. Then cut from the right top corner and cut in an opposite curve to the left bottom corner.
10. Cut the leaf in half hot dog style. Glue each leaf piece on an olive felt rectangle that is 3 in x 2 in. or you can just eyeball a slightly larger rectangle than your first.
11. Cut along the curve of the moss felt, and then a cut on the other side to complete the leaf. Cut out two leaves.
12. Glue the two leaves together at the corner making sure they are overlapping. Then glue the flower to the top of the leaves.
13. Flip the floral upside down and glue the smooth straight side of the hair clip to the floral. Then cut a circle smaller than the hair clip and glue it to the inside of the hair clip. This will ensure that that hair clip stays secure.
Congratulations! You just made a holiday hair clip! Customize your floral clips with Benzie’s wide varieties and even experiment with all of their glitter felt varieties! You can even adjust this project to an elastic band for babies. Have a wonderful Christmas season!