Looking for a thoughtful and handmade last minute gift? Look no further! May from @craftwithmay has a free tutorial for a quick felt cupholder to add some shine to anyone's warm winter beverages. Whip up a batch of these and drop them in your friend's, neighbor's, and family's mailboxes!
I am forever looking for ways to send little gifts as well as ways to add sparkle, shine, and cozy details. This project is super easy and does all of those things! I repurposed a cardboard coffee holder and added all my own stitched and felt details – this was so fun my teenage daughters want to make them now too! All you’ll need is some felt, thread, and whatever details you’d like to add. Since I made this as an example to show my daughters they can do it, I kept the stitches simple and the techniques easy. You’re welcome to add more complexity of course!
Skill Level: Beginner
Time: 1 hour
1. Stitch felt to the cardboard drink holder. Note – a nice firm stabilizer would be great here, but I don’t have any! So I got creative and utilized a drink holder. This does two things – first it adds the needed stabilization, but it also gives me my template all built in! Once stitched, cut around the edges to remove excess felt.
2. Stitch ribbon (if desired) to the center of the cupholder.
3. Add details such as hand cut felt heart, heat transfer vinyl designs (I didn’t – but these are fun!), and other larger elements. This would also be a great place to add buttons if you’ve got any spares laying around.
4. Now with your needle and thread of choice, add in beads, sequins, and any fancy stitching you’d like. I will note here that because the felt is only stitched around the outsides (and at the ribbon), you can slide your needle easily under the felt (but not through the cardboard) for your stitching.
5. With your front complete, you can now stitch a piece of felt to the back side to seal it all in (and cover up any knots or stitches) if desired.
6. Finally, stitch the two ends closed to re-seal and finish off your coffee cozy!
I hope that you’ve enjoyed this tutorial and that you have fun sipping cocoa, coffee, or hot tea with a bit of felt and sparkle this winter.
Thanks to May for designing and writing this tutorial! You can follow her on Instagram @craftwithmay or visit her website. Stay tuned for more Benzie Design Maker Team tutorials from May and the rest of the Team!