February 5 is Ice Cream for Breakfast Day! Let's join the fun by making this scrumptious Milkshake Banner from Maker Team member Karla of @mochi_mx. After all, a milkshake is just a breakfast shake...with a cherry...and sprinkles.
I love that milkshakes can be made in all colors, flavors and as sweet as you like! You can mix and match different flavors and topping combinations for all your friends. With that in mind, I am going to show you how to make a Milkshake Banner to decorate your space. You can make yours like mine, change the colors, or add embellishments. I hope you enjoy this cute and fun little project!
Skill Level: Beginner
Time: 2 hours
Canvas Banner, Pointed
One 9 x 12" sheet of Peach Wool Blend Felt
One 9 x 12" sheet of Peony Wool Blend Felt
One 9 x 12" sheet of Mint Wool Blend Felt
One 9 x 12" sheet of Sky Wool Blend Felt
Pot of Gold PomPom Palette, Medium
Pot of Gold PomPom Add-on Kit*
Tapestry Wool - DMC 7711
Embroidery Floss - DMC E334
Frixion Tracing Pen
Milkshake Template (click to download)
*Or substitute Darner Needle and Pearl Cotton Thread
1. Download, print and cut out the Milkshake Template above.
2. Cut all the wool blend felt pieces. You will need:
(1) shape A from Peach, (1) shape B from Peony, (1) shape C from Mint, (1) shape D from Sky and (1) shape E from Mint
3. Place the milkshake template above shape B and use the tracing pen to draw the embroidery guidelines.
4. Backstitch over the guidelines.
5. Remove the Frixion pen marks with a hair dryer. It's like magic!
6. Place shape B above shape A and stitch together. Then place shape C above shape B and stitch.
7. Center the milkshake on the canvas banner and stitch all around shape A. Add some sprinkles with the metallic floss.
8. Make the straw stitching each piece of shape E to shape D.
9. Place the straw above the milkshake and stitch all around.
10. Stitch all around shape B with coordinating thread to attach it to the canvas.
11. Stitch around the milkshake base with coordinating thread.
12. Use the needle and thread from the pompom add-on kit to make the cherry stem. Remember to make a knot in the bottom part!
13. Attached the cherry to the milkshake with a few stitches.
14. Use the darner needle to string the pompoms onto the metallic floss for a garland.
15. To make the tassel, cut a winding board from heavy cardstock or cardboard. The length of the board will be the length of the finished tassel. Wind the tapestry wool around the board in taut loops until you reach desired fullness.
16. Take an additional length of wool and thread it into a tight knot around the middle of the looped thread. Keep these ends pulled upward and leave the wound ends facing downward.
17. Pull the wound wool off the cardboard and cut through the looped ends. Adjust into a tassel shape.
18. Cut another length of wool to wrap the tassel neck. Wrap it tightly around the tassel with two loops. Trim tassel ends so they are even.
19. Attach the tassel to the canvas banner with metallic floss.
20. Hang the banner with the wooden dowel or a cute pencil and some metallic floss.
Gracias to Karla for designing and writing this tutorial! You can follow her on Instagram @mochi_mx or visit her website. Stay tuned for more Benzie Design Maker Team tutorials from Karla and the rest of the team!