It's time for backyard barbeques, parades and fireworks and Maker Team member Marlena of @blossoms_bymarlena wants to make sure you're the star of the show. Marlena has a flare for dramatic headpieces and this project is a stellar example. Let's get this party started!
If you’re looking for a simple way to dress up this upcoming holiday, this is my easy DIY. It's definitely a statement piece! The headband alternates two sizes of stars and how you decide to arrange them is up to you. Play around with the placement and, most importantly, be creative!
Skill Level: Kid Friendly, Beginner
Time: 30 minutes
One 9 x 12" sheet of Red Metallic Felt
One 9 x 12" sheet of Silver Metallic Felt
One 9 x 12" sheet of Royal Blue Glitter Felt
Silver Metal Headband
Silver Floral Wire
Hot Glue Gun
Star Pattern PDF (click to download)
1. Print the Star Pattern above onto cardstock and cut out stars. Trace stars onto the back (non-shiny/glittery) of the felt as follows:
- 18 Large Stars on Red Metallic, Silver Metallic and Royal Blue Glitter felt (6 from each color)
- 18 Small Stars on Red Metallic, Silver Metallic and Royal Blue Glitter felt
(6 from each color)
If you have a Cricut machine, you can pick a star from the free image gallery. The Large star should measure ~ 2.4". The Small star should measure ~ 1.3".
2. Once the stars are ready, use your wire tool to cut the floral wire. Cut 9 pieces at 10" long and cut 9 pieces at 7" long. Feel free to adjust the wire heights or amounts. For the finished project pictured, I used 16 wires.
3. Wrap one end of the wire around the headband as pictured below. Make sure to use the wire tool to flatten the wire around the headband base.
4. After the wires are attached, start gluing your stars one by one. Add a generous amount of hot glue to the middle of the star and attach the wire. Then draw a line of hot glue around the inside perimeter of a matching star and glue it to the other side.
5. Once you've placed your first color, cover the additional wires in alternating colors. Alternate sizes and colors until it is finished.
The end result is an easy statement piece for adults and kids alike! If you'd like to make this entirely your own, Benzie has a huge selection of Metallic, Glitter and Patterned felts that you can use for this project. Happy 4th of July!
Thanks to Marlena for designing and writing this tutorial! You can follow her on Instagram @blossoms_bymarlena or visit her website. Stay tuned for more tutorials from the Benzie Design Maker Team!