The Christmas pickle may have mysterious beginnings but it's become a fun and quirky holiday tradition! Whoever searches the tree and finds the Christmas pickle ornament either receives good luck for the year or receives a special gift. In our family, whoever finds the pickle first gets to open the first gift! The following year, they are the ones who hide the pickle. Here is an easy one to whip up with your favorite green felt. Add in some sequins for Christmas sparkle!
Skill Level: Beginner
Time: 1 hour
Pickle Pattern (click to download)
1. Print out the Pickle Pattern above.
2. Cut out pattern and use a tracing pen or other marking tool to trace the pattern onto felt. Cut out two pickle shapes using sharp scissors.
3. Stitch around perimeter using either a whip stitch or a blanket stitch with coordinating embroidery thread. If using a blanket stitch, we suggest doubling up the thread for a greater effect. Stuff with Polyfil before stitching completely closed. A stuffing tool is very helpful in this step.
4. Stitch on sequins and beads. Stitching them through both layers of felt puckers the felt and makes it look even more like a pickle! Find more instruction on stitching on sequins in this tutorial.
5. Use embroidery thread to make a loop at the top for hanging.
Your Christmas pickle ornament is ready to be hidden. Let the hunt begin!
Thanks to Renae for designing and writing this tutorial! Stay tuned for more Christmas in July tutorials every day this week!