Sometimes it's the simple techniques in crafting that elude us. We are delighted to welcome author Aimee Ray of @aimee_littledear to teach us one of those techniques. Here are a few tips to make transferring pattern pieces and embroidery designs to felt quick and easy!
Time: 10 minutes (not including stitching time)
Skill Level: Beginner
1. Begin by printing out your pattern pieces on ordinary printer paper and cutting them apart loosely. Don’t cut right on the lines yet. Leave around 1/4" border around the pattern lines.
2. Pin each paper piece in place onto felt. Now cut out the pieces on the pattern lines, through paper and felt together. Once all of your felt pieces are cut out, stitch them together according to the pattern. Now you’re ready to add embroidery!
3. Place a piece of tissue paper over the printed embroidery design and trace it using a pencil.
4. Pin the tissue in place on the felt and embroider the design through the tissue and felt together.
5. When you’re done stitching, gently tear away the tissue paper. (I find this part really satisfying!) You may need to use the tip of the needle to pull out bits from under your stitches.
All done! I hope you find these techniques useful and have fun sewing with felt!